Cardinal Creek Village has some of the most interesting - and difficult to spell - street names in the city! See below for some background on their origins (courtesy of Tamarack Homes).
The streets in Cardinal Creek Village have been chosen to honor the rich culture and history of the area. They have been named for some of the early settlers and their activities, for Anishinaabe words describing the natural environment in the area, and for Champlain and his impact on the area.
place de l'Astrolabe Place
An instrument used by Champlain to make astronomical measurements, typically of the altitudes of celestial bodies, and in navigation for calculating latitude.
rue de la Baie-des-Castors Street
Name of one of the bay’s along the Ottawa River.
voie de Brouage Way
Name of the town where Samuel de Champlain lived when he was young.
voie du Cap-Diamant Way
A cape on an edge of the Promontory of Quebec and on which Quebec City is located, formed by the confluence of a bend in the St. Lawrence River to the south and east, and the much smaller Saint-Charles River to the north. Champlain landed here.
promenade Cardinal Creek Drive
Named after the Cardinal Family – early settlers who had a mill on the property.
rue du Cartographe Street
French word for “cartographer” – a person who draws or produces maps (Champlain reference).
avenue de la Famille-Laporte Avenue
Named for the Laporte family, who owns land in the subdivision and operates a landscaping business there.
terrasse du Géographe Terrace
French word for “geographer” (Champlain was a geographer).
rue de Honfleur Street
Name of the port in France from which Champlain set out for North America in 1608.
avenue Mashkig Avenue
Algonquin word for marsh
côte de la Minoterie Ridge
French word for a mill used to grind grain, an homage to the original mill on the lands owned by the Cardinal Family.
rue Mishawashkode Street
Algonquin word for field.
ruelle de Saintonge Lane
Birthplace of Champlain.
rang de Stadaconé Row
An Iroquois village near Quebec City where Champlain landed in 1608.
voie de Tadoussac Way
Champlain arrived in Tadoussac in May 1603. Tadoussac was the only seaport on the St. Lawrence for 30 years.
cercle Tewin Circle
Indigenous word for “home”.